Step 3: Government Regulations & Licenses


Your StaffING Requirements.

Every business will have different staffing requirements. Looking at your sales forecast will help predetermine your staffing needs. When hiring employees, business owners must consider  how they will recruit employees, what payroll costs they need to pay, and what associated labour regulations they are required to follow.

Questions to ask to determine your business staffing requirements:

  1. How many employees do you need to hire?
  2. What are the skills and talents required?  How often will they need to work?
  3. What staffing costs are associated with hiring these employees?
  4. What labour regulations need to be considered and followed?
  5. How will you manage and report payroll deductions?
  6. Are there any government funding or incentives for hiring?


We have identified and answered the most commonly asked questions about this topic:

All employers are required to pay the Employers Health Tax. The first $500,000 of the payroll is exempt. The Employers Health Tax on self-employed income has been eliminated. For more information contact:

Mississauga Regional Tax Office
77 City Centre Drive, 1st floor
Mississauga, Ontario
L5B 1M5
Toll-free: 1-800-265-9969
Telephone: (905) 273-9490
Fax: (905) 949-3388

If you are you a trustee, an employer, or a payer of other amounts related to employment, you have to register for a payroll account.  A payroll program account is required to identify your business or organization when you remit payroll deductions.

After you have determined that you are an employer, a trustee or a payer and have opened a payroll program account, you have to calculate the CPP contributions, EI premiums, and income tax deductions based on the amounts you pay your employees. You also have to calculate your share. You should hold these amounts in trust for the Receiver General in a separate account from your operating business account.

To learn more about Payroll deductions, including setting up an account, setting up a new employee, calculating deductions, and reporting, visit – Steps for Payroll

The Economic Development Office, in partnership with Planning & Building Department, provides a list of businesses  in Mississauga which can be accessed through the Mississauga business directory. The Mississauga Business Directory is a free and interactive online tool that shows the geographic location of the businesses within Mississauga.  It lists only the businesses that agreed to be included in the Business Directory.

If you employ workers on a full-time, part-time or temporary basis in an industry or business covered under the Worker’s Compensation Act, you must register with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) within ten (10) days of employing your first worker.

It is voluntary for self-employed persons to contribute to the WSIB. Contact the nearest WSIB office to obtain a registration kit, which includes information on assessments, coverage, accident reporting requirements and appeals procedures. Call the WSIB at: (416) 344-1013 or

More information on WSIB available here >


We have identified the following resources to assist you in this topic:

Employment Standards



Provide feedback on this page
Report a problem or mistake on this page